Selected for better color and finer texture, Palmetto® demonstrates superior shade, cold, frost, heat and drought tolerance. This versatile turf grass is used across the southern United States from the Carolinas to California under a wide range of climate and soil conditions, making it the ideal choice for residential and commercial use. Palmetto® St. Augustine is a proven versatile grass that is a standard in many regions. Palmetto® offers better color and finer texture than other varieties of St. Augustine, delivering years of an aesthetically pleasing and functional lawn. It will also hold its color longer than other St. Augustine varieties, adding to its desirability. Its semi-dwarf habit and finer texture make it a softer, more comfortable lawn for lounging or barefoot walking.
Recommended Mowing Height 1.5-2.5 in.
1 in. per Week
Fertilize Mid Spring and Early Fall
Are You a Professional?
- Minimum 4-hour-6-hours of sunlight per day for best results
- Palmetto® is a broad bladed, medium green colored grass
- Palmetto® is heat and shade tolerant
- Adaptable in many soil conditions
- Appealing blue-green hue
- Thrives in direct sunlight
- Plush appearance
- Establishes quickly
- Palmetto® performs best in the sunlight, but can tolerate some shade. Requires 4-6 hours of sunlight.
- Obtain a great looking lawn at a 3 inch mow height.
- First mow should be approximately 14 days after installation. Be careful not to mow more than 1/3 of the blade length.
- Apply enough water on the installation day to penetrate the sod and two inches of soil underneath. For the next 10-14 days, reduce your watering to just keep the soil moist throughout the day. Usually watering four to six times during the day, for approximately five to six minutes each time, is required until the roots have been established.
- After the first mow, reduce the frequency of times but increase the duration of watering at a gradual pace. The goal is to only water once a day and have the grass fully equipped with deep roots.
- Fungicide: Apply if needed. You may benefit from it if the grass is in the shade or has had trouble with disease in the past. First application should be 24 – 48 hours after first watering.
- Insecticide: Apply if needed, follow label directions. Treat with broad spectrum insecticide if needed.
- Preemergent Herbicide: Stop weeds from popping up by applying a preemergent herbicide. Follow label directions and wear proper protection equipment. Create a consistent blanket application.
- Fertilize: Give your grass a boost with fertilizer, approximately four to six weeks after installation to ensure continued establishment of the roots. Follow label directions.
Stay tuned for tips from our turf experts.